Director of Brokerage Operations (Carrier)
Fraight is an ambitious seed-stage logistics technology company. We’re changing the logistics industry through automation and AI to create a better experience for our customers, the carriers with whom we work, and us as brokers. Opportunities like this don’t come around often. Don’t take our word for it - just ask Built-In Chicago , who recognized us as 50 Startups to Watch in 2018, or ChicagoInno who says we’re one of the Coolest Companies. We are working on challenging, real world problems that require unconventional interdisciplinary thinking.
- Ask anyone, and the first two things they’ll say about you is that you’re “the hardest working person I’ve ever met” and that “you’re always thinking of others first”. You live the “servant leadership” mantra.
- You are not just looking for an opportunity, but you’re looking for an adventure. This is an opportunity to tangibly shape the future of a company, and of an industry. Like any adventure it takes a comfort with getting uncomfortable, ambition, an incredible amount of hard work, and willingness to cut your own path through the jungle. Sometimes it may be scary, often it will be frustrating, but you get to do it with a team of people working in the same direction.
- Strong sense of ethics —you’ll do the right thing no matter what it takes.
- Excellent computer skills (Gmail filters, keyboard shortcuts, etc)
- Scrappy - you’re a do-er, and a manager. You are ready, able, and willing to dig in and get the job done. You hustle harder, and find a way to get it done. You’re a team player, but also you’re able to work with little to no oversight.
- Resourceful - not afraid to be wrong, and not afraid to ask for help. - you know you’re a smart person, so you’re going to give it your all to figure it out; but, you won’t let your pride get in the way. You know you’re a market expert, but you realize we all have blind spots.
- Growth mindset -- Just because a process exists, doesn't mean it should. You always consider an alternative explanation may exist… including and especially alternative to the ones you’re proposing. You’re adaptive and thrive in an ever changing environment.
- Insightful about your process and creative - You spend a lot of time thinking about how you work, how you can work better, and how your work fits into the bigger picture. You think a lot about how the tools you have help you, and how you have to workaround the edges.
- Data driven -- You use quantitative tools to solve problems. When you're trying to figure out if you're on the right track, you look to data. Maybe you took a couple of stats classes in college. If not, that sounds awesome to you
- You’re a communicator - You have a strong attention to detail. Great written and verbal communication skills. You’re attentive, organized, and extremely detail-oriented.
About the job:
You will be the person primarily responsible for the day to day operations of the business from a carrier perspective. Based on experience, this candidate may also have primary responsibility over the customer-operations group as well. By getting in at the ground level, you will be key to building the team, growing sales, and scaling the operations. Since we’re a startup, everyone wears many hats and you have to realize no task is beneath any of us. You’ll have a ton of autonomy and a ton of responsibility.
- Own the carrier department - your primary responsibility in this adventure requires you roll up your sleeves while we embark on our journey. You’ll work hand-in-hand with the VP of Operations to:
- Recruit, hire, and train the best people, which includes hiring strategy and hiring decisions.
- Implement process changes.
- Oversee, direct, and implement solutions for the day-to-day operations of the business.
- Manage the team and working with your teammates to get the work done.
- Help shape our software product through your industry expertise and your experience using it, knowing what is working and not working for the process and where the pain points are.
- Learn more deeply about the carriers and customers with whom we’re working and strategic initiatives which may be impactful to them.
- Pursue your own passion projects that will change the industry.
- In the near term, you’ll need to source carriers and manage carrier relationships. Your challenge will be to effectively both do and delegate, understanding the workloads of yourself and your teammates, and taking ownership for getting it all done. Our carrier sales philosophy is someone who:
- Is comfortable and confident in sourcing capacity and managing carrier relationships.
- Doesn’t just “book” loads - you’re the guide through the jungle for drivers, shippers and your teammates. You walk side-by-side with all of them through each load, doing whatever it takes to ensure a smooth and successful journey for all.
- Is a bridge builder - between the customer and the carrier. You’re going to work hand and hand with the team to maximize the outcome for all parties. You intuitively understand that it’s not all about profits, and that delivering the ultimate in service to both carriers and customers requires a measured and middle ground approach.
- You have 6+ years in an OTR truckload brokerage environment in a carrier facing role.
- Experience in a leadership role, such as team lead
- Your goal is not just to be in the top 1% of service providers, but to be The #1. You’re honest, open, fair, and get done what you say you’re going to.
- Entrepreneurial spirit.
- You have the ability to work flexible schedules, and perhaps travel from time to time (0-20% of the time).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong preference for 9+ years in an OTR truckload brokerage environment in a carrier facing role.
- Experience in a strategy and/or planning role.
- Hiring responsibility and/or P&L responsibility.
- We prefer you have some experience with software, particularly implementation or development, but its not required.
- Learning resources (books, subscriptions, etc)
- A culture that's obsessed with self improvement and learning. Mentor. Be mentored. Grow!
- Solid tools. Fast mac, big monitor, nice headphones
- Weekly team lunches with all hands meetings
- Comprehensive Benefits Coverage (we cover 75% of the cost for your medical, dental and vision insurance)
- Commuter benefits
- We're a seed stage startup. If you're the right person, we will do what it takes to meet your needs and match your risk profile, including a competitive salary and potential for equity
Commitment to diversity.
We get it. The demographics of tech companies don’t match up with America. We believe in changing that and we are actively looking for candidates from all backgrounds. We intend to challenge the status quo in tech demographics by introducing innovative recruiting and HR practices that seek out, support, and join individuals from diverse backgrounds.